Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Not MIA…Just Busy

Swaps and gardening…or is it gardening and swaps? I have to learn to prioritize. After such a long winter, I’m finding it hard to keep my hands out of the dirt.

After taking stock of which perennials didn’t make it through the winter, it looks as though I’ll have to replace about a half dozen plants. I just love going to nurseries at this time of year because everything looks so fresh and like fabric in a quilt shop, is just crying out for me to take them home.

When I’m not in the garden, I’m busy stitching projects for upcoming swaps. I love to make things as gifts for others which is probably the reason why I joined four swaps! So far I’m on schedule with the time lines that I’ve set for myself so I haven’t felt any undue pressure…yet.

DSCN0424I just finished this pincushion which was really a lot of fun to make. I think I enjoyed the embellishing part the most because that’s where you can let your creativity take charge.

Actually, I made more than one because if you recall, you can NEVER have too many pincushions!

DSCN0427Here’s a little preview of a mini quilt that I’m working on for another swap. I’m doing mine in my favorite wool-on-cotton method and I’m hoping to complete it today.

I have several other swap projects on the go as well which I’ll sneak in as I make more progress.

Now I’m off to do some weeding as there’s rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

Happy stitching!

Kaaren

20 comments:

Bunny said...

Oh Kaaren I love your pin cushion I think I might just have a similar pattern that I have never made, might just have to look for it. I also am anxious to see your mini quilt. I do love all your appliques you have made. On the other hand I really do not like gardening, weeding etc not for me. Love to look at them though. LOL

Carla said...

I just love it! I've been wanting one forever and just no time to make it. Now, I'll have to make time. Love the sneak peek of the quilt.

Dorothy said...

Love the pincushion Kaaren.

Rumi said...

Cute pincushion. You are correct, you cannot have too many!
I'm not much of a gardening gal but envy those who are.

Stina Blomgren said...

Love the pincushion... :o)
Good luck with all your swaps... looking good.. whatever it will be.. love the cute string of pearls for your scissor.. gosh cant remember the name for that..lol...

Jocelyn said...

What a cute pincushion! You certainly have your hands full with four swaps! I can't even make myself sign up for one :-( Enjoy your garden!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your mini quilt and pin cushion are both adorable.

Sara said...

That pincushion is wonderful! I love it! Just too cute.

And nurseries are a favorite of mine too! I have to replace only 3 but am working on redoing a complete bed so it will take some time! The new bed is going to be a butterfly garden!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Love your pin cuchion, how cute. I love flowers but kill anything I touch, so I just sew!!

Sherri said...

Great pincushion! And why is it so busy this spring?!!! I need to go outside and fertilize my flowers and shrubs...but it's so hot already...over 100 today again! Think I'll wait until about 7ish tonight!

Tom H said...

4 Swaps to do, garden to get in; and you don't feel any pressure! That's great. Me, I'd be talking to myself. I just finished 2 carving swaps, and 2 mini quilt swaps. I'm not going to sign up for any more swaps for a few months.....I hope!...But I might..Oh no!

Anonymous said...

Your swap buddy is lucky..looks fantastic!

Candace said...

I'm out there in the garden with you, Kaaren! Looks like all but one of my perennials made it this winter and the roses seems to be doing well, too!
Love the pincusion - oh, and the wool project is so yummy!
Cheers!

Linda said...

Like your mini quilt you are working on. Quite the lucky person to receive this. There is a pincushion swap on my blog. but you probably have already signed up.

Betsy said...

I love the pin cushion and the mini quilt preview. Can't wait to see the whole quilt.
Have a great evening.
Betsy

Polly said...

Verrrry cute pincushion!! Love it! I hope your little Westie Mack is doing well, too! Polly

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh how exciting! Congrats on the birth of your grand niece! Will you get to see her??

Now if that isn't the cutest pin cushion! Perfect for someone who sews a lot.

I love the nurseries at this time of year too. I got lucky and all my perennials survived this year. My burning bush - not so much! But the other nursery took precedent this spring!

My energy leaves me breathless too! Literally so I had to sit and read some of the comments that came in. Getting ready for an over nightguest gets harder the older I get! LOL

I hope you got your weeding done. Have a great weekend!

hugs, Linda

Carrie P. said...

Great things you have been making. Love th mini wool quilt.

tami said...

I wish I was in whatever swap would get me that mini quilt. I just love your wool on cotton applique.

Meredith said...

I have seen pin cushions like that before. It is really neat that you made it.