Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Snowbound!!!

What an awesome snow day this was...a perfect excuse to spend time in my sewing studio...not that I ever need one!  

It's been snowing non stop since about 5 a.m.  Every school and school board in Nova Scotia is closed.  I've never heard of that happening before. Many local businesses never opened.  We knew from the weather forecast that we weren't going anywhere today.


The first time I came downstairs from my sewing room was for a lunch break at about 1:30 p.m. where I had been working on my new quilt design since about 8 a.m.  I took these photos then and I'm sure more than twice the amount of snow has fallen since then.
   
   The side barn...


And the barn in the distance and view out the "back forty".


The only negative thing about the day is that we had to cancel our Christmas dinner and gift exchange tonight with my gal pals. Phooey! I was sooooo looking forward to it. We're trying to reschedule for lunch tomorrow but that all depends on whether we'll all be able to get out.  The snow plow didn't come until 3 p.m. on our road and hasn't been back since...and I think we can ski down the pile of snow that he dumped at the end of our driveway.

Here's a sneak peek at the new design I'm working on.

 
If tomorrow is another snow day, I'm hoping to be able to finish piecing the top.



      "To Do" list update from last post:
  1. Wrap Christmas gifts for my sewing buddies to exchange at our Wednesday night Christmas dinner.
  2. Wrap secret pal gift and put it in the mail on Monday...or Tuesday, depending on how much snow falls.
  3. Cut out and piece blocks for my new quilt design.  Ongoing...about half way done.
  4. Continue piecing French braid borders for Darlene's mystery quilt.
  5. Finish sewing the binding on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.

And I mustn't forget to include a picture of Frankie and Ollie cuddling on the sofa.
   


Life is good...despite the snow!  *wink*

Happy stitching!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I am loving your new project! Is that Primitive Gatherings fabric I spy in there? Very cute! And always love your pup.... what a cutie!

Missy Shay said...

Snow is always a good excuse to quilt! like the your new pattern!

gracie said...

Beautiful pictures and I love Frankie and Ollie....

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Perfect day--snow bound, quilting, fur babies

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Delightful post, Kaaren! Perfect day to spend time in your sewing room and staying warm inside!

Hugs, Carolyn

Michelle said...

I am not a huge snow fan, HOWEVER....if it is going to snow and close everything, then this is what I want. A warm house, enough food to make and bake and to be able to putter and do some projects. However...what does poor Ollie do?

Jeanna said...

Frankie and Ollie always make me smile! I enjoy seeing photos of them, especially when they are cuddling.

Your snowbound pictures are so pretty...thank you for sharing.

Janet O. said...

What a cozy day inside! And Frankie and Ollie know how to spend it--forget all that sewing stuff! : )
I am loving your peek at the new project. That Primitive Gatherings line of fabrics is so cute. I'm quilting up some things made from it this evening.

Joan said...

Lovely pictures! I spent the day in my sewing room also. Lots of snow in Eastern Ontario! Cute picture of Ollie and Frankie!

paulette said...

Wow!! So pretty...a winter postcard for sure!! I'm loving your new project...can't wait to see more!
P

Needled Mom said...

It looks magical and hard to imagine.

Maureen said...

A beautiful snow, even if it is causing you to miss your Christmas party. Stay warm and safe inside.
I love your new project!

sunny said...

You lucky girl! I want a snow day. I'm anxious to see more of your quilt design. Stay cozy.

Elaine said...

Such pretty scenery! Merry Christmas!

Raewyn said...

Wow, that is a lot of snow! How great you have a passion that sits well with snowdays!

annie said...

that sure is a lot snow!
lovely pictures.
love the quilt works!
love your two buddies snuggled together on the couch! looks like contentment! hope you do get together with your friends!

margaret said...

that is a lot of snow, must not complain of the weather we get when I see photos like yours. Mind you it does look very pretty. Sneak peek at your piece you are working on looks interesting. Hope you girls get together today.

Susannah said...

Ollie seems smaller than your other dog. It is good that Ollie and Frankie are such good pals! I'm sure it makes it easier on you, too. They are very sweet and cute!

Susannah

Abby and Stephanie said...

I hope you're able to meet with your friends! Good thing about being snowbound is lots can get crossed off the to do list! Stay warm. The boys look cozy.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

I love it! What a fun post. I'd say life is good because of the snow, but then again I'm one of those nuts that loves snow. LOL!

Lori said...

I hope you can get out soon for your party with the ladies. It does look pretty and I wouldn't mind if we got more snow.

Tina said...

What a wonderful day for quilting! Your pictures are just beautiful!! And Frankie and Ollie really bring a smile to my face!

suz said...

we didn't get as much snow (only 5-7 inches), but it came during rush hour and my 75 minute trip home took 4 1/2 hours!

Cathi said...

We saw on the weather channel that you were really getting a tonne of snow! Stay safe and warm and enjoy your sewing time!

Nancy said...

The snow is so beautiful. I wish we would get a good amount rather than just nuisance snows. My whole idea of what constitutes a true snow storm changed after three years living in Maine. Now back in PA, 8 inches of snow is nothing but it surely paralyzes the area. Thanks for sharing the photos. I wonder if that storm is coming my way? Hope so, but after everyone does his or her traveling for Christmas. Your new project looks very interesting. I went to my local quilt shop yesterday and bought more than I intended AND asked them to hold an equal amount for January. I should stay out of there.

Janet said...

Oh my, that is beautiful. Good sewing weather. You be careful going outside because I am sure you will not be able to resist. I would love to see snow like that just once in my life time. Can't wait to see your next quilt. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

sandi s said...

I love the pictures of your snow. I love when the weather "makes" me stay home! In my case it's only rain. :)
Merry :Christmas.

Emilou said...

Wow, you are really getting a lot of snow! White Christmas!!! Enjoy, enjoy. Love your new quilt idea. Blessings and smiles, Emilou :-)

Elizabeth said...

Life is good! The hic-cups in life are our lessons. Your snow looks very festive, some here on Christmas day would be magical but I've never know a white Christmas even though Bing sings about it every year. Have a snug Happy Christmas and keep inspiring us all here on your lovely blog.

Me and My Stitches said...

Thanks for the sneak peek at your quilt - love it! The snow looks so beautiful - especially when you are inside looking out! Glad Frankie and Ollie are so comfy. My daughter and her puppies are visiting us and they do not get along with my kitties at all. Maybe someday they will find the harmony that Frankie & Ollie have?!

Pam in IL said...

I see a snowman on that new quilt you're working on! Snow days are perfect for spending time in the sewing room.

We have a snowstorm moving in tomorrow into Sunday.